Should I Repair Or Replace My Roof?
For most homeowners and business owners, a new roof is a pretty big expense — and not always one that’s budgeted for. And when your roof fails prematurely or a tree falls onto the roof during a strong storm, you may not have the financial wiggle room to invest in a new roof so soon.
Is a full replacement always necessary? Not necessarily. In some situations, it may make more sense to repair the roof so you can get a few more years out of it. In other situations, you may end up spending money on repair after repair — in which case, it may actually be more cost-effective to do a full replacement. The best solution to your roofing issues will depend on different factors:
- the type of damage
- how much of the roof’s surface is damaged
- how old the roof is
For example, it would be completely unnecessary to replace the relatively new roof when simply replacing a few shingles could resolve the issue. Likewise, if the damage is limited to one side of the roof and the roof is relatively new, it might save you thousands and make more sense to simply do a partial re-roof.
Here are some instances when it would likely make more sense to replace the roof:
- If your roof is leaking and it’s less than 5 years old, the leak is probably related to installation. In this case, repairs won’t completely resolve the issue and prevent future leaks from springing up.
- If your roof is near the end of its expected lifespan (based on material and age) and wear and tear or other problems are starting to show up, it would probably make more sense to replace the roof.
- If a roof leak has penetrated all the way down into the home, the underlying decking is likely damaged. In this case, a full replacement is probably the best solution, as it will include the repair of the damaged layers.
- If your home or commercial property has been hit by severe weather — like a tornado or other very strong storm — it might not be cost effective to repair the damage.
The good news is, with Top Hat Chimney & Roofing, you don’t have to make the decision and weigh the pros and cons alone. If the roof is fixable and it makes sense to repair it to prolong its service life, we’ll recommend that option so you have time to work a new roof into the budget.
But if repair isn’t possible or doesn’t make sense given the age, material, and extent of the damage— say, the roof is sagging or water has leaked all the way down into the home — we’ll let you know that as well, so you can plan and move forward, without wasting your money and time on repairs that won’t actually fix the problem.
Can You Just Roof Over Your Existing Shingles?
While the International Residential Code (IRC) does allow a roof to have two layers of shingles, simply roofing over the existing shingles isn’t really the best solution. Here’s why:
- With multiple layers of shingles, there’s more weight and more stress put on the building’s structure.
- If you ever need to replace the roof in the future, you’ll have to pay for double the labor because the crew will have to remove twice as many shingles.
- During severe weather and strong winds, shingles are more secure when they’re attached directly to the roof deck. Shingles installed over existing shingles won’t have that kind of security.
- Should leaks spring up in the future, it will be much more challenging to identify the root of the problem if there are two layers of shingles.
Is it time to repair or replace your roof? Call Top Hat Chimney & Roofing. Our roofing experts are knowledgeable, experienced, and highly trained — we can answer any questions you may have and help with your decision. We’ll start by inspecting your roof and identifying where damage is and just how bad it is. If repairs are possible, we’ll let you know what needs to be done and how much it will cost. If a replacement is necessary, we’ll run through the numbers and what’s included.
Our team uses the industry’s best roofing systems and shingles. All of the shingles and roofing systems we install are known for their quality and durability, as well as their attractiveness. These are some of the brands we regularly use:
- Owens Corning
- Johns Manville
Roof Installation & Repairs You Can Trust
Let’s face it: even if you choose the very best roofing materials for your new roof or the very best products for your repairs, if the crew performing the work isn’t highly trained or knowledgeable and the repair work or installation isn’t done right, you’ll still have problems.
Don’t waste your money — call Top Hat Chimney & Roofing. We’re members of the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) and we have decades of experience repairing and replacing commercial and residential roofs in Fayetteville and beyond. Call 479-751-0432 or reach out to us here on our website to request your roof inspection today.
And don’t forget to ask about our 10-Year Edge-to-Edge Leakproof Warranty! We offer it for homes where we completely replace the roof and gutters and waterproof every chimney and penetration. You can’t beat that!
When it comes to roofing and gutters. rest assured that our experienced team knows exactly what to do for roof leak detection and remediation. Give us a call today.